Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Wow, I'm not nearly as memorable as I thought...

So, I had this grand plan to work up to my birthday this Friday by posting a journal entry every day this week from all my birthdays. It was going to be hilarious. I was going to relive the best day of every year for the last something-something years. Come to find out, I sucked at recording my birthdays! Well, I didn't technically suck at recording my birthdays because I often wrote about them. I was just horribly boring anytime I wrote about them. I thought it would totally be like my entry on March 5th, 1989:

"Dear Diary,

If Melanie is reading this she already knows what I'm going to write. What I'm going to write is who my boyfriends ar
e. Really she only knows one of them. The first one is Eli. He's really cute and I've had a crush on him since kindergarten. The people that I sit by at school are Jason, who is hardly ever around; Justin, who is the most decent boy on our table; and the last boy is Torry. He is a total geek! He has broken both legs about two times. I have to go now.

Love, Robin"

See? Those are the kinds of journal entries I remember! Now here's the journal entry of my birthday that same year:

"Dear Diary,

Today is my birthday. I got a purple sweater, a dress, some jeans, and some smelling markers. See you later.

Love, Robin"

BTW, I was talking about these markers...smelly (ie-scented) markers.



Where's the birthday hilarity? Where's the endless laughs?? Where's the embarrassing secrets of my rapidly passing childhood??? I'm so disappointed in myself! Don't worry, I'll still post journal entries this week cuz there are some good ones (like Silent Scott). They just won't have anything to do with my birthday.

6 comments:

Vicki said...

I will be anxiously awaiting your posts each day! You are so creative and I always love reading what you write. BTW - I totally remember those markers. I thought they were AWESOME!

Vicki said...

Oh, and at least you were good about writing in a journal. Matt and I set out to read each others' journals over the years and Matt finished mine in about 30 minutes....and I am still not done with Matt's. (I am not sure Matt will enjoy me sharing that detail about him, but too bad. There it is!)

Michelle Montgomery said...

Smelly Markers are the bomb. Black was always my favorite.

You're journal entries make me laugh because they totally remind me of mine. Mark asked one time while reading through my old journals, "Why do you write to your journal as if it's a person? And why do you sign the bottom...I'm pretty sure we you know who you are."

Anyway, I hope you have a happy birthday and get more than a purple sweater and some markers :)

MelanieBrenchley said...

Remember when you'd (by that I mean all of us) be smelling the markers and accidentally get a "marker dot" on the end of your nose? Doh!

Unknown said...

Yay!!! New posts from you!!!!!!! You are so funny!! Love you and have a totally HAPPY birthday tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Katie said...

Funny girl. I came on your blog because this is your special day and I wanted to say Happy Birthday. But I was the one who got the gift. What a totally awesome entry. Poor geeky kid who just keeps breaking his legs. so funny. I hope Melanie enjoyed reading it. :-)