Monday, March 8, 2010

Being the baby (almost)

I am number nine of ten children, which means I had a very different experience growing up than my older siblings. I'm sure I was more spoiled and evaded more punishment than the older children. Not always, but a lot..except this one time. My parents said they were going to take everyone out for doughnuts for Family Home Evening, but we wouldn't get one if we didn't finish our chores that day. I had to be no more than six or seven, so I can't imagine my chores being that difficult. But like most kids, I felt like I was being picked on and given the hardest tasks...things like helping my mom make her bed every morning, and collecting the trash once a week from all the bedrooms. Real tough, I know. Treats were VERY rare in our house growing up. (Which is why I think most of us Montgomery kids have such an insatiable sweet tooth now, but that's another story.) On this particular day I refused to do my chores. Mostly because I thought there was no way that my parents would stick to their guns and keep me from enjoying a delicious doughnut, especially since the opportunity to eat them came around once in a blue moon. I saw no reason to do my chores; I was sure I'd reap the reward along with everyone else.

Well, when evening came we all piled into the big blue van and headed to the Winchell's at Five Points (which is now a Pizza Hut Take Out). I eagerly raced into the store and admired the doughnuts through the display cases, wondering how I could possibly choose only one. My parents skipped over me as they took orders so I spoke up, only to learn they hadn't forgotten their promise. They refused as I protested and whined, holding true to their word. I would not get a doughnut.

The funniest part to me (now, not then of course) is that I remember my parents had even gotten a dozen doughnuts to go and when we got home I pulled out the plastic wrap and thought I could save one for myself to eat the next day. I thought, "Surely the punishment is only for today. It will end at the stroke of midnight and I'll be able to enjoy a doughnut tomorrow, but if I don't save it now it will be gone in the morning." And...I was quickly shut down. What??? The injustice! That's child abuse! How could they be so cruel?

I'd like to say I've learned my lesson, that I've gotten a little wiser as I've grown, but from time to time I still think I deserve a reward without any action or effort on my part. Does anyone else feel that way? Or is it just me, the spoiled "almost baby" of the family?

5 comments:

Katie said...

No - dude -that is the beauty of being a grown up. You get to eat a piece of cheesecake and grab a handful of girl scout cookies while you are watching Friends and surfing the net and there is no "deserve" about it. You just get to.(wo - I sound super lazy. well, whaterya gonna do) Yeah, my parents tried to teach me too but obviously it didn't work. :-) Sounds like that has really stuck with you. Good parenting. That is way hard to do - I'm sure you gave them a pretty good fight.

Janelle said...

Funny story. It makes me want to stick to my guns better with my kids. You turned out great even though you didn't get that donut. Go get donuts tonight for you and Evan. You deserve it!

Michelle Montgomery said...

Oh your memories. They always make me laugh. Now I am craving doughnuts...thanks.

Unknown said...

I could have told you they would stick to their guns....just ask them who they did NOT take to see the Harlem Globe Trotters when we were in Milan....:( Love you!

Trisha said...

your parents are the worst. they must have hearts of stone, honestly. and knowing how stinking cute you were, COME ON! Can you imagine being able to say no to you?! :) I love these insights into your life robin!