Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Few Firsts II

First up-my first school-related meltdown:
This week has been....blah. I've spent every single day since last Thursday studying for a pathophysiology test we had this Thursday. I stayed late last Friday, I got a coworker to cover my shift so I could go to school and study on Saturday, I studied on Sunday, I studied all day Monday, all day Tuesday (although a lot of time was dedicated to a Med Chem test we had on Wednesday), all day Wednesday, and even studied all Thursday morning since the test was in the afternoon. I memorized notes, I made study guides, I reviewed study guides from my classmates, and I studied previous exams for example questions. I felt 100% prepared for this test. I walked in there so confident-I knew that I could handle anything the professors tried to throw at us...I just had no idea they'd throw out a test more evil than the devil himself. My professor always has an answer key there that we can check once we turn in our test. I can never leave without comparing my test with the answer key because I want to know my score immediately, but I wish I hadn't looked. Without actually divulging how poorly I did, let's just say that I walked out of that test completely deflated, stomped on, depreciated, flattened, punctured, devalued, kicked in the teeth, shot down, drained of all intelligence, shattered, weakened...and that only describes about 30% of what I felt. I should have just not studied at all-I couldn't have done much worse. I barely made it to my car before I lost it. I haven't cried that hard at school since I was in 1st grade and I thought my older sister, who was in 5th grade, was going to forget to pick me up, leaving me to find my own way home. (I used to cry every day when it came time to go home, no matter how much she assured me each morning that she would NEVER forget to pick me up.) It's not the lowest score I've ever gotten, but it sure as heck is the absolute worst I've ever done when I put in that much time preparing for it.

Second-I went to a movie yesterday all by myself and I loved it! It may not seem like such a big deal to go to a movie alone, but I felt so independent. And, maybe I just needed to feel like I could accomplish something after Thursday's beating. I had a few hours to kill in Salt Lake between commitments, and I decided to go see a movie. Evan and I have been waiting for everything to come out on DVD for so long that I'd forgotten how much I LOVE to watch movies in the theater. Maybe I should work as a ticket taker at the theater just so I can see more movies on the big screen... Anyway, we don't have TV and I haven't been to a movie for so long (already said that) that I had no idea what was playing. I walked up to the theater, saw a poster for a romantic looking film with "Edward", and saw that it was starting in 5 minutes. Perfect! I knew Evan wouldn't care if I saw a lovey-dovey film without him, so I bought a ticket for "Remember Me". I even treated myself to a kid's popcorn and kid's drink. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the movie. I knew absolutely nothing about the film, and I believe that's the only way you should see it. DON'T GO LOOKING UP THE PLOT ANYWHERE! Truthfully, it hasn't gotten great reviews. In fact, it's gotten terrible reviews. But I don't care what the critics have had to say. I wasn't feeling very critical over the acting, cinematography, yada, yada, yada. Maybe it's because I was still in a somber mood from the day before, but I loved it. It was a slower paced movie, and it's a drama not a romantic comedy. I'm not, however, going to say that you have to rush out and see it right now, or that you'll love it as much as me. I don't want to be responsible for you wasting a few hard-earned dollars if you end up agreeing with the critics. (By the way, it does have two little risque scenes and it says the F-word twice. I thought they couldn't say that twice in a PG-13, but obviously they can now. So, since you can't look anything up about the movie so that you don't spoil it, that's your breakdown of why it's rated what it is.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwwwww Bobbi-Sue...welcome to me and chemistry. It is why I knew I would never pass the MCAT. I even took it three times. Thank heavens for grading on a curve, because instead of the solid "C" I got each time I would have had a Z-minus, minus, minus. Have you talked to any of the other people in the class? Did they do well or not? Maybe it wasn't you, it was the test itself. Keep your chin up. SOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you!!! How fun for your movie experience also. Good for you!!!

MelanieBrenchley said...

I mean it Rovin, I will not forget you!!! Just meet me at the flagpole, and no crying today, ok? :)

Michelle Montgomery said...

Haha, I love Melanie's comment.

And I thought that movie looked kinda cute...but I probably can't convince Mark to see either.

So sorry your test didn't go well. It's a good thing your not like me because once I failed Math (first F ever) I came to the conclusion that failing isn't all that bad. So don't turn into me, it will ruin you! Stay miserable! haha

Matt and Vicki said...

Robin, don't worry. You are not alone. Matt had a break down after your drug dosage test. I think your professors just test ridiculously hard, and expect you to memorize more than any human could ever memorize. And you should feel ok about having break downs. I have one almost weekly, and my school work is nowhere near as hard as yours. Look at how far you have gotten. You will make it.

I'm glad you got to see a movie to release frustration. If you ever need a buddy, I would always be willing to skip out on work...

Katie said...

wow - that was a poignant post. those firsts were made me laugh made me cry kind of firsts. sucks about the test. but think of all the spelling tests in mr. moore's class that you got 100% on without a lick of studying. that should cheer you up. you are so naturally smart. i hope everyone else failed the test even more. lame. ok, so i love that you went to a movie by yourself. i bet it felt so good to just escape. i want to watch that movie now. but i'm thinking your need to relax probably affected you liking it so much. don't you think? thanks for writing about what is really going on in your life. i feel like i just had a good conversation with you. stay cute and cool. and remember that you were the mother tree in Into the Woods -not me. YOU.