Monday, August 10, 2009

Memory Monday...Meet My Mom

What an alliteration!

I just spent the afternoon making plum leather and plum jam, which reminded me of all the times I helped my mom when she was canning. Even with as much as I helped her every year, I took it for granted that we always had an entire storage room of delicious foods. Jams, jellies, cherries, peaches, pears, applesauce, grape juice, apricots, green beans, tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes...and more tomatoes! Being a school teacher gave my mom the luxury of having the summers off, but that hardly meant that summers were a vacation. She spent all summer long tending to her garden and then picking and preserving what came out of it, plus much, much more. (Totally random side note, I also took for granted that we lived just minutes away from the best fruit stands in Utah. I thought every county in Utah had an entire highway lined with amazing produce!) So today, as Evan and I pitted and mashed plums together, I kept thinking of how all those years helping my mom had prepared me for a day just like today.


By the way, it's too soon to tell if those skills really sunk in. I'm feeling pretty good so far about the fruit leather-it should be dry in the morning. And the jam...well, the jam isn't looking so hot. I may have to try again in the morning.

6 comments:

The "Curby Clan" said...

Hey Robin,
It's Brittney your cousin. That plum leather sounds good, may I have the recipe.

Cathryn said...

I'm so impressed that you guys are making fruit leather and jam. Your post reminded me that when we first moved to Farmington, there used to be so many fruit stands in Kaysville and Fruit Heights. Now we can hardly find one peach orchard that hasn't been transformed into rows of houses.

Michelle said...

Oh that makes me want to garden and can more, but this year just corn and green beans. I loved the plum you gave me last night--yummy!!

Markie said...

I'm feeling inspired - thanks!

Jessica said...

I thought I better comment on your blog since I told you I've been blog-stalking you at the wedding on Saturday.

Katie said...

Ooooo - that all sounds so good. What a neat mom to make all those delicious bottled goods - AND to grow them herself! And what a good Robin to follow in her footsteps. And YOU don't even have the summer off so I think that means you get extra points.

Oh - ps - sorry I hung up the phone and was a jerk when you and evan sang me your cute happy birthday song. i'm really not a bad friend. i'll have you know that i really was so sick and threw up minutes afterwards. so it was legit yo. that dang javiers. or that dang pregnancy. one or the other.