Monday, October 26, 2009

All this from a little fruit??

I love a good, crisp apple, don't you? Ever since I discovered the sweet apples like Fuji, Gala, and Cameo I have completely ignored the simple Granny Smith...and today I was reminded why.

It seems as though each Halloween season the Granny Smiths go on some kind of super sale. And since we're extra poor college students right now, I thought I'd go for the apples that were 58 cents a pound instead of 97 cents a pound. I know, I'm thrifty. So today at lunch I pulled out the apple and took a bite. Hmmm, it's quite sour. I took another bite...even more sour. Well, it's not my favorite, but I paid for it. And I'm not about to go to the cafeteria and get an overpriced, overprocessed, over-fried meal when I've got a healthy apple in my hand. So I kept eating. I could have handled the sourness if not for one little problem...does your jaw ever clench when you eat something sour? Mine does, totally on its own accord. Each time I took a bite of the apple my jaw clenched , but I powered through. I wish I had just thrown the dang thing away after the first few bites because now I feel like I've been punched in the jaw!

I don't know what the moral of this story is other than now I know why people coat those Granny Smith apples in caramel. In fact, I even understand why caramel sometimes isn't enough, and people add a layer of chocolate and all sorts of toppings. From now on, that's the kind of green apple I'll be choosing.

9 comments:

John and Laura said...

Just FYI, with any apples you have left, you can bake with them (granny smith are good baking apples): apple crisp, etc. Sorry for your bad experience. :(

Michelle Montgomery said...

Mmm....lop some caramel and chocolate on anything and I'll eat it. Now i'm craving a caramel apple man...thanks.

Michelle said...

I had to chuckle at this one! I did a simalar thing, but remembered how sour they are while I was doing just what you said, eating it covered in a layer of chocolate AND caramel...it was still sour and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. We still need to plan a lunch and I will meet you and bring good food, not just cheap apples! :)

Trisha said...

i am on your side rob. fuji's have been my obsession for years. i recently discovered jonagold and honeycrisps and from one sweet apple lover to another, they are incredible.

Unknown said...

Ditto on the honeycrisps!! Pink Lady's are also very delish!!!

The "Curby Clan" said...

So funny that you did a post of this subject. My husband has been doing the shopping lately and keeps buying granny apples because they're on sale, but nobody eats them. So now I have a full fridge of them. I should bake an apple pie.
I love reading your blog.

aezra noell said...

ha HA! Im the stalker sister! lol jk this is the other sister, ashley. I didn't know if i said it b4 but i agree, i enjoy reading yr blog. familiarity is comforting and women bonding is right. My jaw does the same exact thing...it is soooo irritating. i hate it b/c it reminds me of the feeling u get when yr about to ralph.(((jitters))) yeah, gosh awful!

aezra noell said...

awe! just noticed the side. Im honored that you find my blog a "good read". i always feel like" who cares about me".

MelanieBrenchley said...

Ditto on green apples and the jaw clenching thing. My boys love them because they call them the "sour apples." But I'm a fuji and honeycrisp girl. Jennie introduced me to honeycrisp. She said one day a couple years ago, "I saw these apples by all the other apples, only they were like three times the price of the other apples, so I thought, 'what...are those just amazing or something?' So then I thought I'd get some and try them. You've got to try these!" Well, the rest is history. J and I both love them!! FYI I am making caramel apples for the family party Fri, and I'll make sure to make you one with a Fuji. :) Heart you.