Monday, February 8, 2010

What a small world!

Last week Evan and I went to a play at the Hale Centre Theatre with his family. We've received season tickets from his mom for a few years and have really enjoyed the shows. For some unexplainable reason, I often run into someone I know whenever we go, whether it be my friend's parents, a former young women's leader, or someone from our ward. As I was scanning the audience for familiar faces like I usually do, the row in front of us filled in with the cutest white-haired folks, one in particular who was about 5 foot nothing and weighed maybe 80 pounds. She had the BIGGEST smile on her face, and just looked so happy to be there. She was quite the Chatty Cathy, and made small talk with Evan and me during intermission. She mentioned she grew up in Ogden, in the famous Fourth Ward. I've heard all my life about the Fourth Ward as it's the ward my dad grew up in, so after the show I called my dad and asked if he knew her family. He didn't really know them but my grandma sure did, because she bought this lady's grandpa's house, so she and my dad grew up in the same house! Is that a small world or what?

P.S. Evan said I omitted the best part of the story: she didn't just say "Fourth Ward" but "Farth Waard" (same vowel sound on both, like Spanish Fark) and that as she said it her dentures slipped out of place, which she just nonchalantly slipped back in and continued talking to us. He's right, that really was the best part of the story.

No comments: